GET TO KNOW US: AN INSIDER'S VIEW OF GB CHARCUTERIE
Getting to the core of our values, what we do, and why we do it!
Our origin story…
GB Charcuterie is a family run business setup back in 2016 by father and son duo Simon and Phil Bartley. The business came to life with an aim to raise awareness of the growing British charcuterie scene and to help promote animal welfare and small artisan producers around the UK. Supporting local producers is more important now than ever and this is something we truly believe in.The journey began with our small shop based in Brighton Marina, which we have quickly grown from to include our online and wholesale services as well as several restaurants, cafes and retail outlets around the Southeast of the country.
Meet our team!
Although mighty, we’re a small, close-knitted team of just 7!
Phil Bartley, Director
Simon Bartley, Co-founder
Linda, Barry, Monica & Kristine, Warehouse Operations
Where you can find us –
Since expanding our operations from our shop, we are now beavering away at our warehouse in Bevendean located at The Hyde, Brighton BN2 4JE. This is where the magic happens, and we can store and supply a larger variety of products to more customers! Come and take a browse of our products over here.
When we moved, we were gutted to no longer have the facilities for customers to visit and try our products first-hand. But we still have local shops and restaurants which sell our tasty cheese and charcuterie to eat in or takeaway to enjoy in true picnic style.
Here is where you can find a range of goodies and what they offer!!
- Toasted on Trafalgar Street is firstly the place to go and tuck into some of our banging toasties made from fresh artisan produce, cheese and meats; but here you can also grab a few individual products as well as picnic boxes in store or ordered online (Deliveroo & Uber Eats).
- Curds & Whey Hove – Cheese, Cheese, Cheese!!! Curds is a gift that keeps giving – here you can find 150 varieties of cheese under one roof. Although cheese is the star of the show, special guests of British charcuterie and high-quality wines from sister store Cases can be enjoyed for the perfect pairing. We have indoor and outdoor seating to dine in or of course take away.
- The Cleveland Arms Brighton is a traditional family pub serving home cooked food, all made with fresh, local ingredients. Here, you can nibble on some artisan British cheese and charcuterie boards as well as the option to takeaway and enjoy in the park just opposite.
- The West Hill Tavern is a family-run, independent PIZZA PUB with a unique offering!! You guessed it, we have paired up to offer some of the best pizzas using high quality cheese and charcuterie ingredients. If you like a quirky, creative space with unreal pizzas then this one’s for you!
- Hove Place, a casual bistro pub in the heart of Hove, offers restaurant quality food menus put together by head chef and GBC owner, Phil Bartley. The food showcases the best locally produced ingredients alongside some extremely popular cheese and charcuterie deli boards.
- The Cricketers Brighton is another fantastic pub showcasing a high quality, locally sourced menu from Phil. Artisan British cheese and charcuterie boards can of course be found in this unique, Victorian pub which dates back as far as 1547 making it the oldest pub in Brighton!
- Taste-Sussex is our latest venture, bringing a unique, playful twist on a traditional branded restaurant. This Brighton Marina based restaurant brings a menu in abundance of locally sourced, fresh ingredients as well as some of the best artisan cheese and charcuterie from Brighton.
- Old Brompton is a wine, cheese and charcuterie bar and deli based in the bustling South Kensington district and marks our first venture into the big smoke! The deli offers an extensive range of artisan cheese and charcuterie supplied by yours truly, to be paired with a largely European influenced wine selection. There are also some more exciting secrets to be found downstairs so it’s definitely one to visit!
Watch this space, there’s plenty more to come…
Behind the scenes: why we work with artisan producers
We still hold ourselves to account when working with our producers and at heart we are a small family run business with our core values at the forefront of everything we do.
When you support a small producer, you know you’re going to get something passionately made with a lot of love put into for incredible quality and flavour. There are countless benefits of supporting local, from the nutrients and natural flavours of the product to the environmental impact and use of organic, traditional techniques. It’s a no brainer to support local – these producers really have such skill, purpose, and independent stories to share.
We hope you have enjoyed this little insight to The Great British Charcuterie and what we stand for, and we look forward to showing you the local talent right on our doorstop!
Thanks for reading.
Phil, Barry, Louise & The Team